Studies in France
Do I need a visa? How to apply for a student visa?
Yes except if you are a citizen of Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco or of the European Economic Area.
American citizens who intend to study in France for less than 90 days do not need a visa. Holders of Permit to re-enter or Refugee Travel Document do need a visa.
Applicants for a LONG STAY (more than 90 days) student visa must first register with “Campus France”. _ Please visit www.usa.campusfrance.org
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Register and obtain an “attestation” from Campus France
Once you complied with Campus France requirements, please make an appointment
The General Consulate in Washington DC will only accept applications from residents/students of one of the following States : Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia. Residents/students from other States must check what is the relevant Consulate. To know where to apply, click here.
Personal appearance at the Consulate is mandatory. All applicants must first schedule an appointment.
Processing fees can be paid ONLY by credit card (Visa, Mastercard only). Be aware that the visa section does not make copies. Please provide us with the original and the copy of each each required document.
- dowload here the supporting documentation list for LONG STAY VISA (more than 90 days) (pdf)
- download here the supporting documentation list for SHORT STAY VISA (less than 90 days)(pdf)
- the OFII Form (optional)
- 2 long stay application form (only one for US citizens) if you wish to study more than 3 months in France OR
- 2 short stay application form for alien residents in the US intending to stay in France less than 3 months
- financial guarantee for a student visa (pdf)
- a self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY Please fill out the mailing label as follows :
|Your name & address|
|Your name & address|
Reminder : the financial guarantee requirement : please keep in mind that the letter/statement from your financial sponsor (parents or other) needs to be NOTARIZED. The minimum amount needed per month is 615 EUR. We also ask for a RECENT bank statement from the person supporting/sponsoring you (the bank statement itself does not need to be notarized). The notarized statement is needed, even if your name appears on a joint account that you own with your sponsor.
The Consulate has the right to request more documents than the ones submitted by the applicant. Please be aware that submitting the required documents does not guarantee the issuance of the visa.
Our address is 4101 Reservoir Road, NW Washington DC 20007. This information and many others can be found under "general information" section.